Monday, January 3, 2011

What is Discipline really?

To spank or not to spank, that is the question.  Whether it is noble in the minds of the experts in the world or just a reality based fixture in a fear ruled parenting society.  We have all said the same thing when we were kids: "When I'm a parent, I'm going to be the coolest!"  It's funny how things don't always work out that way.  I can only imagine how tough it is to live with me considering my better half is a special ed teacher and she believes that there is a different learning style for each individual kid.  Nowadays there are timeouts, not grounding.  I don't necessarily remember ever getting the belt as a child, but I for sure remember the threat of getting the belt.  It was easy, Dad would reach, we would shape up.  I did chores, I behaved without expectations of reward, and I was a crazy kid(I know, who would have thought)...with all this said and done I have this to say about my parents, they were on the same team always...and if they didn't agree with each others form of discipline it surely didn't show...that is what use to get us the most as children..."ooh wait until your daddy gets home"...and then we would have to sit there and ponder what the heck he is going to do to us...just purely on my moms word alone...they were a good team, regardless of the intensity of the discipline, they were in it together...and that's the key to discipline...if you choose to use timeouts, use them, but be on board together...I caught myself saying out loud that it doesn't matter because he will just cry himself out of it...I shouldn't have...I should never have verbally doubted our discipline in front of the kids because it will lack strength and effectiveness...I will not say spanking is wrong, because it's not for everyone(for example, my wife tried it the other day and my son laughed at her...it was pretty funny)...but what I'm saying is that you need to discuss this plan together...and if you're single...you have to play both sides of the coin...the sensitive mother and the angry father...good luck with that...

1 comment:

  1. Yep, you hit the nail on the head with the single bit, it's a constant struggle but I seem to be making progress, yay me!

    ReplyDelete